Thursday 14 July 2011

Downhill competition - Dave

On 30th/31st July, the ATBA will be hosting its first Downhill competition in years.

The venue is “Dave” a 1.4 mile twisty-turny firetrack in the heart of Wales (near Llandovery) and can be found on the Mountainboarding Map.


View ATB Wales Downhill Mountainboard Competition in a larger map

On a recent scouting trip we managed to spend an entire day riding it (thanks to a helpful uplift) and even in the wet, we were finishing in around 4mins 30secs.


The course is great; about a 1/10 gradient with long straights to build up a load of speed and lots of nice corners to negotiate.

The course is definitely rideable for almost all skill levels (and this is coming from a novice rider). I was riding with a brake and by the end of the day was happily bombing it down the straights and killing speed at the last moment for the corners – but more experienced riders were going brakeless and were easily able to control their speed and maintain some very quick times.

The competition starts at 11:00 on Saturday morning and will be solo timed runs - open to brake and brake-less riders. Thanks to an uplift that will be running on the day, there will be the opportunity to get loads of runs in.

There are much better riders participating than me, but I’ll still be competing. This is my first competition and although I don’t expect to place very well, I can’t wait to give it a go and meet up with the other riders.

I’ll probably be driving down on the Friday and stopping until Sunday so I can get some riding in from other nearby spots after the comp – make sure you join us!

Video and pictures by Joe Gatley.

For more information check out the Remolition article.

Join in the discussion at Surfing Dirt or the Facebook event page.

1 comment:

  1. This is gonna be my first comp too, like you say I'm not expecting to place well but I'm mainly going for the meet-up aspect. The fact we'll get some officially timed runs is a bonus!

    ReplyDelete