Tuesday 1 May 2012

Mullets and Road Trips




At this very moment the Remolition guys are shredding their way North on a two-week road trip from Lands End to John O’ Groats. If you haven’t already, please feel free to sponsor them (the money is going to the Midlands Air Ambulance Service – a great cause for us riders who like to do stupid things in the middle of nowhere).

 You can track their progress on Remolition Extra and arrange to meet up with them on their travels (due to lack of showers, I would probably suggest meeting up with them sooner rather than later).

I’m hoping to find them when they are around the Lakes towards the end of this week and will probably be sticking around and heading up to Scotland for a couple of days riding (if Scotland hasn’t been flooded by that point).

Whilst up there, I thought it would be a good opportunity to have a go at riding with 9’s on the front and 8’s on the back; what I like to call the Mullet (business up front and party in the back)...although that name doesn’t seem to be sticking for some reason. It’s a technique that’s been pioneered by freeriding guru Roger and it seems to be one of his better ideas, so I thought I’d give it a try. The idea behind it is that the 9’s on the front get you over any rocky/muddy ground but the 8’s on the back retain their manoeuvrability and reduce weight.

 So up front will be the normal 9 inch Primo Strikers on Primo Composite hubs and on the back are my lovely 8 inch GI Maks on some MBS Rockstar Pro’s. This does mean that my freestyle board currently has no wheels...but the idea of me doing anything that remotely resembles freestyle is quite frankly...absurd.
I’ve also got a set of Maks mounted on a spare NoSno Alloy Axle, so if I get the whim to ride brakeless (it’s not happened yet, but you never know...), I can easily swap out the front axles without having to mess around with the brakes.

BTW: if you or anyone you know of is selling a NoSno Custom 12*790 deck – please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment